Who wants a super healthy macaroon? These delicious Matcha green tea and kale macaroons are vegan, gluten-free, free from refined sugars, artificial colouring and require no baking. What’s not to like? Their verdant green colour comes from Matcha green tea powder and black kale (which is actually green!), also known as cavolo nero.
Being vibrant green, these macaroons make terrific healthy treats for Halloween and St Patrick’s Day. They also make healthy alternatives to the traditional sugar-laden fare for afternoon tea and or as petit fours after a meal. I also think they make a wonderful healthy gift; pile the macaroons in a clean jam jar then simply label up with a hand-written tag and decorate with some ribbon.
These raw Matcha green tea and kale macaroons are also easy to make; you need less than 10 ingredients and they take about 40 minutes to make a batch. Essentially, mix together some unsweetened coconut with Matcha green tea, kale, lemon zest, protein powder (soya bean and pea work well) and a touch of sweetener. Then shape into igloo-shaped domes and drizzle with melted dark chocolate!
The slight bitter flavour of the green tea and grassy flavour of kale, is off-set with the zingy lemon zest, rich cacao notes from dark chocolate and natural sweetness from coconut and date syrup/ agave.
These macaroons are crammed with goodness. Kale is rich in fibre, iron, vitamins A, C, K, omega-3, anti-oxidants and calcium, whereas green tea is packed with powerful anti-oxidants. I love supplementing my macaroons with protein powder to boost the nutritive value. If you have run out, possible substitutes are additional coconut, chia seeds, ground flaxseed or oats.
These macaroons store well in the fridge for 5-6 days and freeze well too.
Preparation time: 30 mins. Freezer time: 10 mins
- 150g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 25g black kale (cavolo nero, with woody central stalk removed)
- 2 tbsp protein powder (soya bean or pea varieties work well)
- ¾ tbsp-1 tbsp Matcha green tea (amount depending on individual taste)
- ¼ tsp salt (I use Maldon salt)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 ½ tbsp liquid sweetener like date syrup, agave
- 25g dark chocolate. I love using sugar-free chocolate drops
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Line and grease a medium sized baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a blender, mix together the unsweetened coconut, black kale, protein powder (or substitute), Matcha green tea and salt. The mixture turns a beautiful green shade. Pour contents into a bowl.
- Add agave and lemon zest to the coconut mixture. Combine well to form a tacky mixture.
- Using a metal spoon, make little domes of the coconut mixture. I use a 1 tbsp measuring spoon as a mould, lightly greasing it with a little coconut oil in between each macaroon, so the macaroon slides out easily. Place on the prepared baking tray.
- Pop the tray in the freezer for 5 minutes to set. In the meantime, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a bain-marie or in the microwave (it should take about 3-4 mins for the latter).
- Using a teaspoon, drizzle the melted chocolate sauce on top of each macaroon.
- Pop in the freezer for 5 mins to set. Enjoy!
Variations: Substitute Matcha green tea or kale for other superfood powders:
- ¼ tsp wheatgrass and ¼ tsp spirulina powder
- 3/4 tbp vitality mix
- 1 tbsp omega-3 superpowder
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.