Sometimes only something sweet will do! Does this sound familiar to you, yet you still want to eat healthily? Well look no further than these chocolate banana cookies.
These will satisfy the sweetest of cravings and give you a chocolate kick too. The best thing is, they are completely healthy and super quick and easy to make. (Plus you only need one bowl to make them in, so less washing up!)
The cookies are free from refined sugars; you make use of the natural sweetness of banana. They are also vegan and by using gluten free muesli, they are suitable for coeliacs too. These are popular with children and adults alike and a great way to use up those spotty bananas! Message me your favourite tips to avoid food waste!
only need 3 ingredients (cacao powder, muesli and a ripe banana) and you can whip these up in less than half an hour including the baking time.
These cookies store well and make great treats at home or as portable snacks in your lunch box for workers, picnickers, hikers and gym-goers. I love a couple after a meal with some green tea.
Makes: 16 small cookies, 8 larger ones
Preparation time: under 15 mins
Baking time: 14-15 mins
- 1 large ripe banana, peeled
- 100g muesli of choice. I love using nutty muesli, no refined sugar
- 2 tbsp. organic cacao powder
- Omit 20g of muesli and substitute for 20g protein powder for protein packed versions of these cookies
- Add 1 tbsp. maca powder for a superboost of energy and hormone balance.
- Add 1.5 tbps. chia seeds for an extra protein, fibre, omega-3 boost
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F.
- In a medium bowl and using the back of a fork, mash the banana to a smooth consistency.
- Add muesli and cacao to the mashed banana and using a spoon, mix to combine.
- Scoop tablespoons onto a baking sheet (or 2 per cookie if making larger ones) and slightly flatten with the back of the spoon. Alternatively, I love to scoop into a silicone dome mould so you get cute dome shaped cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 14-15mins at 180°C, 350°F. Allow to cook for 15 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool further. When fresh, these cookies taste crisp on the outside and softer in the middle. These last in the fridge for about 5 days.