Love cookies, but want to eat more healthily? Try these superfood oat cookies which contain not just one, but THREE superfoods: baobab superfruit powder, goji berries & dark chocolate (I use 85% cacao solids). Oats provide slow release carbs and these cookies are also supplemented with protein powder to boost the protein content (pea & soya varieties work well).
These cookies are great for a grab and go breakfast, as healthy snacks (they travel well!), pre-work out snacks and they also freeze perfectly too! These cookies are suitable for vegans, vegetarians and coeliacs (by opting for gluten-free choices).
But what do they taste like? You have lemony citrus from the baobab, bitterness from the dark chocolate & sweetness from chopped dates. (I was tempted to call these bitter chocolate lemon cookies!). You have texture from the oats & a satisfying chewiness from the dried goji berries.
As with all my recipes, I do not use refined sugar; the sweetness is solely provided by dried dates in this recipe.
As I have babbled on about the benefits of these superfoods elsewhere in this blog, I will move on to the recipe!
Makes: 24-25 cookies
Cooking time: 12-15 mins
- 45g coconut oil
- 160g dried dates
- 120ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp milled chia seeds
- 110g quick cook oats (gluten-free if required)
- 80g wholemeal flour (gluten-free if required)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 30g ground flaxseed
- 30g goji berries
- 50g dark chocolate (I used Organic Black’s 85%), roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp baobab superfruit powder
- 2 tbsp protein powder (soya or pea derived work fine)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or 160ºC for fan ovens. Grease & line a large baking sheet with some coconut oil (I use spray coconut oil).
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil. Pour into a blender or food processor along with the dates, almond milk, milled chia seeds & whizz to make a smooth paste.
- In a larger bowl, mix together the oats, flour, baking powder, ground flaxseed, salt, baobab superfruit powder, chopped dark chocolate & protein powder if using.
- Stir in the date-mix in with the oat -mix.
- Roll into small balls, place on the prepared baking sheet & press down with your fingers or a spatular to form cookie shapes.
- Bake for 12-15 mins until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before enjoying!
You can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.
- Substitute the flaxseed and goji berries for sunflower seeds, hemp seeds.
- Substitute other dried fruit like dried cranberries & apricots for the dates