Who loves chai tea? I do! There is something quite magical about the warming spices of cinnamon, ginger and cardamom. I think it is the perfect cosy drink after a cold day outside. Who agrees with me?!
So how about combining these flavours into a truffle? Just blend up some plump Medjool dates with chai spices, a few other store cupboard ingredients, roll and dip in crushed pistachios or top with stem ginger. You could use any other crushed nut, but I love how the crushed pistachios adds a green/ yellow-gold festive touch and the stem ginger slice looks like a piece of gold!
The best bit is, these truffles are easy to make (that rolling is quite therapeutic actually!) and are vegan, refined-sugar-free and gluten-free. (This has got to be the easiest festive recipe!) To add to the nutritional value, I have also included some hormone balancing and mood-boosting maca; but this is optional. To make protein balls, you could also sub the maca for some protein powder or some chia seeds.
I love to make some of these for the festive table and also as homemade gifts for Christmas. All you need is a jam-jar and a tag and you have a personalised homemade gift made with love.
These keep in the fridge for about 10 days or at room temperature for 5-6 days. Though in our household, they disappear a lot quicker!!
Makes: 16 truffles
Preparation time: 35-40 mins
- 9 plump Medjool dates
- 35g melted cacao butter
- 50g cacao powder
- 2 tsp. maca (optional)
- 1.5 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 cardamom pods. Shelled and ground up
- 1 tbsp. maple (or honey if non-vegan)
- 1 tbsp. coconut sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
To decorate: a handful of pistachios, coarsely ground up in a blended or slithers of stem ginger
Optional: 1 tbsp. protein powder or chia seeds instead of the maca if you want to up the protein content
- Just add all ingredients into a blender and whizz to combine into a dough.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out equal sized portions and roll into a ball.
- Pour the coarsely crushed pistachios into a small bowl.
- Roll the balls in the crushed pistachios or top with a slither of stem ginger.
- Chill the balls for at least 20 mins to allow to firm up. Then pop in a jar to ready to gift or enjoy!