There’s nothing quite like a crunchy biscuit and a cup of tea/ coffee (or dessert wine if you are a traditionalist!). These biscotti biscuits make superb dunking biscuits (or biscuits to slowly nibble on at your leisure).
I have modified the traditional Italian recipe into a healthy version.
How are these healthy? They contain no refined sugar and do contain sugar-free chocolate chips nuts, flaxseed and optional whey protein crunchies. If preferred, the whey protein crispies can be substituted for Rice Crispies, puffed rice, pumpkin or sunflower seeds (which keeps the recipe vegan).
Give these a go! They are actually simple to make and taste so much lighter and fresher than shop-bought varieties (which can taste a bit stale and bland; what I imagine dog biscuits to taste like!).
How do you get them so crunchy? The texture is down to baking the biscuits twice and also, adding nuts, chocolate chips and protein crispies.
I love these as they are not too sweet and deliver a satisfying crunch. The sweetness comes from a little organic raw coconut sugar, which also imparts a deep caramel-like flavour, similar to Demerara sugar.
These are suitable for the health conscious, vegans, vegetarians and coeliacs (with adaptations to the recipe, as detailed below). They also make a lovely gift labelled up in a Kilner jar with a ribbon on top.
Makes: 14 biscuits
Preparation time: 15 mins, plus 20 mins cooling time in between bakes
Baking time: 18 mins and then 15 mins (33 mins total)
- 20g coconut oil
- 90g wholemeal self-raising flour (gluten-free if required)
- 25g organic coconut sugar
- 1 egg or flax egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 50g of your favourite nut: pecans, almonds and walnuts work well (pecans are pictured), roughly chopped
- 12g ground flaxseed (this can be substituted for protein powder if preferred; soya bean, pea and whey protein varieties work well)
- 90g sugar-free dark chocolate chips
- 10g whey protein crispies (or non-dairy substitute like Rice Crispies, puffed rice, pumpkin or sunflower seeds)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C) fan. Grease a large baking sheet with a little coconut oil.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Stir in the coconut sugar, egg or flaxseed egg, vanilla extract, chopped nuts, ground flaxseed or protein powder.
- Add the melted and cooled cocoa butter/ coconut oil. Then add the chocolate chips and protein crispies. Mix to form a stiff dough.
- Shape into 2 logs and flatten on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 mins, then take out of the oven.
- Reduce the oven to 140°C (120°C) fan.
- Leave the logs to to cool for 20 mins. Then using a serrated knife (I used a bread knife), slice each log into 1.5-2 cm slices. Transfer back onto the baking sheet, set slightly apart and bake for a further 15 mins.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
Variations: Suggested flavours:
- Cranberry, almond and orange zest
- Pistachio and dried cherries
- Cardamom, chocolate chip or cacao nibs and orange
- Substitute 2 tbsp of the flour with cacao powder to make the biscotti more chocolatey!