Hot chocolate! A hug in a mug. Who doesn’t love a big warming mug of hot chocolate? For cold wintery days, it is such a favourite in our household; for children and grown-ups too! To me it represents time out from rushing around and perhaps 30 mins to just sit down, savour the cacao milky notes and let the world go by. (Maybe even with a slice of cake too! Beetroot and chocolate cake pictured!)
I have included in this post 2 hot chocolate recipes; one being a regular hot chocolate and the second add ins to make a Mexican spiced one, perhaps more popular with the grown –ups. I have made this recipe vegan by virtue of using plant milk and refined sugar free.
I have also added some superfood maca root powder to add extra vitamins, minerals, amino acids and phytonutrients. Maca helps increases the body’s resistance to the damaging effects of stress and disease. It helps to regulate, support and balance hormonal systems and so is good to balance mood (including stress, anxiety and depression, menstrual issues) and to boost energy levels. It also helps give you radiant glowing skin. Pass me the hot chocolate!!
Preparation time: 5mins
Makes: 1 mug
Regular hot chocolate:
- 250ml plant milk (I love almond milk)
- 1 tbsp. cacao powder
- Optional: 1 tsp. maca powder
- Optional: sweetener of choice. I prefer mine without any sweetener, but others in my household prefer it with ¼ tsp. stevia or ½ tsp. coconut sugar or liquid sweetener of choice
Mexican hot chocolate add ins:
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. dried chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
To decorate: pinch of cacao powder and cacao nibs, as desired
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan on a medium-high heat.
- Using a whisk, whisk to combine all ingredients together.
- Once hot, if you have a milk frother, use it now to froth up the chocolate milk. Pour into a mug and garnish with a pinch of cacao and some cacao nibs. Enjoy.
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.