It’s time detox with a toad green smoothie bowl! The olive/ toad colour is made from mixing spinach with pineapple and orange. He He. No toads involved!
I love smoothie bowls for breakfast and as a post-workout recovery meal. I love how you can pack so many nutrients into one bowl and add crunch with toppings of choice (I do tend to go a bit mad with my toppings!).
This smoothie bowl really does taste delicious. We have pineapple, orange and spinach blended with warming notes of ginger, hydrating cucumber, omega, fibre and protein-rich chia seeds and the earthy tones of Matcha green tea, wheatgrass and spirulina.
Why take wheatgrass?
Wheatgrass is a natural energiser through its ability to promote oxygenation of tissues and in this way, it is reported to help increase stamina and physical performance. It also helps boost your metabolism (through boosting thyroid gland activity) and so may help with weight loss.
Also, wheatgrass helps boost the immune system (due to the high levels of antioxidants), stabilise blood sugar levels, balance hormone levels (and so may improve sleep and mental health), reduce inflammation and improve detoxification of harmful toxins from the body.
Makes: 1 X 450ml bowl
Preparation time: 5 mins
- 1 slice of pineapple (100g)
- 60g spinach
- ½ orange
- Thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 100g chunk of cucumber
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. protein powder (soya bean or pea)
- 1 tsp. Alkalising superpowder; a blend of wheatgrass, Matcha and spirulina
- Juice from ½ lime
- 3 ice cubes
- 90ml coconut water or almond milk
- Simple place all ingredients in a blender and mix to combine.
- Pour into a bowl and decorate as desired. I have used plum, pomegranate seeds, blueberries, raspberries, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts, granola and toasted coconut. Enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.