Got 3 minutes? Make this healthy, delicious dairy-free ice cream! There is no added sugar and you only need up to 4 ingredients and a strong blender. You simply need frozen fruit (I keep a supply in my freezer for smoothies and ice cream; you never know when you need it with the British weather!), but then it is simply a case of whizzing everything up to a creamy ice-cream consistency in a blender.
This recipe is for blueberry flavour ice cream, but you can actually use any frozen fruit eg. frozen strawberries, mango, pineapple, cherries, grapes, nectarines, peaches or indeed vegetables e.g. kale, spinach, carrot.
The base ingredients for this ice cream are frozen bananas (allow 1 large banana per person) and blueberries. I love supplementing mine with omega 3 superpowder and protein powder to make a healthy 4 ingredient omega-3 protein-packed plant based ice cream.
The sweetness provided by ripe bananas is sufficient for me. However, if you like things sweeter you could always add 1 tsp agave, honey, date syrup, coconut sugar, dates or ¼ tsp stevia (to keep this recipe sugar-free).
Preparation time: 3 mins (with fruit frozen beforehand)
- 1 large ripe banana, sliced and frozen
- 1 large handful of frozen blueberries (approx. 80g) (Or frozen fruit of choice)
Place all ingredients into a blender and whizz. Initially the mixture looks like unpromising breadcrumbs, but persist, scraping down the sides as required.
The crumbly mix then starts to stick together to form a creamy ice-cream texture.
- Add 1 tbsp baobab superfruit powder for a citrus anti-oxidant boost
- Add freeze dried fruit, eg. strawberries and raspberries or shredded coconut instead of the frozen fruit
- Add 1 tbsp cacao nibs for to add texture and a nutritional boost.
- Add 1tbsp of cacao powder or goldenberry and chia powder.
- Sprinkle ice cream with nuts, seeds, dried fruit, coconut or serve with healthy crumble