Fancy a change to avocado toast? Have an avocado berry smoothie! Adding avocado to this smoothie adds creaminess as well as vitamins and minerals, especially potassium, important for regulating blood pressure. Avocados are also rich in the monounsaturated fatty acid, oleic acid important in maintaining healthy heart function.
The zingy sweetness in this smoothie comes from anti-oxidant-rich fresh berries and goji berries, making this smoothie a great immune system booster.
To increase the protein content even further, I add protein powder too (soya bean, pea and whey varieties work well). If you do not want to use protein powder, simply omit for a less creamy smoothie or substitute for steamed squash or tofu or cashews.
I love this smoothie; it is refreshing, healthy and satisfying, making it a super healthy breakfast, pre-work out drink or energy booster when you are flagging.
Makes: 1 glass (approx. 300ml)
Preparation time: 3 mins
- 160g mixed berries. Fresh or frozen. I use 80g blueberries and 80g strawberries
- 3 ice cubes
- 50g avocado
- 1/3 apple (approx. 40g)
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- 1 tbsp protein powder (soya bean, pea or whey or 25g silken tofu or squash or 10g of cashews)
- ½ tbp ground chia seeds or ground flaxseed
- 250ml non-dairy milk eg. Almond, hazelnut, rice milk
Optional: for an extra-anti-oxidant zesty burst, you can add superfruit powder, either:
To garnish: fresh fruit, e.g. sliced strawberry and a few blueberries
Throw all the ingredients in a blender.
Whizz until smooth. Taste and adjust if required. This smoothie is sweet enough for my palate, but it you want it sweeter, you can add ½ tsp honey/ agave/ date syrup or a few drops of stevia.
Pour into a glass. Decorate with fresh fruit and serve. Enjoy!
- Include some fresh root ginger (a 2cm chunk)
- Add 1 tsp lucuma powder as the sweetener instead of honey/ agave/ date syrup/ stevia.
- Use chilled green tea instead of non-dairy milk
- Use coconut water instead of non-dairy milk
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.