Do you want to be healthy but love cookies? Well look no further, try these healthy chocolate chip peanut butter cookies!
These treats are a winner. Not only do they taste great, but they can be whipped up under 30 mins total and you need less than 10 ingredients! They also freeze well, so you can make them in advance and defrost them as required.
What do they contain? Dark chocolate chips, peanut butter, ground almonds and optional flaxseed, maca and protein powder to boost the nutritive content
By using dark chocolate chips (85-100% cocoa solids) you can reduce/ eliminate your sugar intake, whilst enjoying the benefits of chocolate; principally flavonoids, which help regulate blood pressure and prevent heart disease.
The peanut butter gives these cookies depth of flavour and a lovely nutty richness. Moreover, it is a great source of fibre, protein, mono-unsaturated fats, potassium and anti-oxidants.
I love adding protein powder to these (vegan varieties like pea and soya bean work well, as does whey protein powder). If you prefer, you can substitute the protein powder for more ground almonds or coconut flour.
These cookies are ideal for those on vegan diets (using the appropriate protein powder) and gluten-free diets.
Please note: this recipe has been adapted from Protein Pow’s (http://proteinpow.com/) protein superb free recipe booklet when you purchase their tubs of pea protein powder.
Makes: 10-12 cookies
Preparation time: 15 mins
Baking time: 10-12 mins
- 30g protein powder (pea and soy work well)
- 50g crunchy nut butter (e.g. peanut, almond, cashew hazelnut)
- 20g coconut sugar
- 30g coconut oil, melted
- 60ml almond milk or rice milk
- 30g ground almonds
- 20g dark chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
If adding these, add 10 ml more milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C) fan and grease and line a baking sheet with a little coconut oil.
- Mix together all the ingredients to form a dough, saving a few chocolate chips to decorate the cookies with.
- Using the palm of your hands, roll small portions of the cookie dough mix into balls. Place them on the prepared baking sheet and flatten to form cookie shapes.
- Decorate with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 10-12 mins (the edges will turn golden brown). Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 mins before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely. (Note: these cookies will be crumbly until completely cooled). Enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.