Do you love chocolate? And peanut butter? Yes yes! Put them together and what do you have? Peanut butter chocolate cups!
By using dark chocolate, you can cut down on sugar and enjoy its health benefits. Dark chocolate is rich in flavonoids, which help regulate blood pressure and prevent heart disease. So tuck in to medicinal guilt-free chocs! I opt for 85%-90% cocoa solids, but anything above 70% is pretty good.
I love to fortify these chocolate cups with protein powder to boost their nutritive content. Vegan varieties like pea, soya bean work well, as does whey protein powder. Alternatively, you can substitute for more ground almonds or coconut flour.
These cute protein cups look great undecorated (reminding me of chocolate cup-cakes I used to eat as a kid) or can be decorated, e.g. with seeds, goji berries, whey protein crispies.
They are terrific as a petit four with your favourite brew, but they also make a lovely gift (all you need is a jar and pretty ribbon) and, as they travel well, they make great portable snacks, so great for lunch-boxes, picnics or as a pre-work out boost.
Please note: this recipe has been adapted from Protein Pow’s (http://proteinpow.com/) protein superb free recipe booklet when you purchase their tubs of pea protein powder.
Makes: 20 cups
Preparation time: 30 mins
Setting time (in the freezer): 30-40 mins
- 200g dark chocolate
- 30g protein powder
- 40g nut butter; peanut, almond, hazelnut or almond all work well
- 35g date syrup/ honey/ agave
- 30ml almond or rice milk
- 20g ground almonds (or coconut flour)
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: 1 tbsp maca powder
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof measuring jug (in a bain-marie or using microwave).
- Make the peanut butter filling. Mix together the remaining ingredients to form a thick dough. Sample. If this not sweet enough, add a little more sweetener and mix well.
- Pour some of the melted chocolate into 20 mini-muffin paper cases, to form the base of each chocolate cup. (Make sure you save some of this chocolate to form the topping!).
- To make the peanut butter filling, roll a ball of the peanut dough between the palms of your hands and then flatten to form a plump disc. Place on the chocolate base and repeat, using up all of the dough.
- Pour the remaining chocolate over the peanut butter dough discs.
- Decorate is you wish.
Place the cups in the freezer for 30-40 mins to set. You can leave the cups in their paper cases or unwrap them if preferred before serving. Enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.