Want a quick, easy, healthy meal? Try this delicious ginger chilli tofu recipe!
All you need is 5-10 mins to make the marinade, immerse the tofu for at least an hour and then pan fry (about 8 mins).
This marinade has the perfect balance of saltiness from soya sauce or tamari, warmth and sweetness from ginger, a citrus tang from orange and heat from chillies. It also works well with seafood and meat. I love to serve this dish with salad or some wholemeal rice or cauliflower rice.
Preparation time: 5-10 mins with at least 1 hr to marinade.
Cooks in 8-11 mins.
- 1 pack of tofu (396g)
- 3 balls of stem ginger, sliced finely into strips.
- 1 red chilli. Deseeded and finely chopped.
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp tamari or dark soya sauce
- Zest from 1 large orange
- Juice from 1 large orange
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp coconut oil
Optional: ½ tbsp protein powder to thicken the sauce.
- Drain the water from the tofu and blot. Slice into chunky steaks approximately 1.5cm thick.
- In a container large enough to accommodate the tofu steaks, mix together the marinade ingredients: ginger, chilli, coconut sugar, tamari or soya sauce, orange zest, orange juice and black pepper. If you are using protein powder, add this to the sauce later.
- Immerse the tofu steaks. Cover and pop in the fridge for at least an hour to allow the flavours of the marinade to soak in.
- Melt coconut oil in a shallow pan. Drain the steaks from the sauce and on a low-heat pan-fry for about 8-10 mins, turning over half-way through with a fish-slice. Alternatively, you can grill the steaks (allow 9-10 mins).
- While the steaks are cooking, mix in the protein powder to the sauce (if using) and heat gently in a saucepan. Pour over the steaks. Serve. Enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.