Forget the coleslaw! This simple salad is a fresh, crunchy delight: healthy, full of flavour, delicious, yet easy and quick to make. And there is no need for claggy mayonnaise either!
This salad combines the sweet tartness of green apple with fresh crunchy celery, carrots and sweet potato. (Yes you can eat it raw!). Walnuts and pumpkin seeds add extra crunch and nutritional value.
These ingredients are complimented with a gingery nutty tahini dressing. To make this dressing creamier and to boost its nutritional content you can add protein powder; plant-based ones work well (soy and pea), as does whey.
This salad is super as a main dish or as an accompaniment. It also keeps well in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days too.
Serves: 8 as a side dish, 4 as main dish
Preparation time: 15 mins
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cut into matchsticks
- 4 celery sticks, sliced finely
- 180g carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 180g sweet potato, cut into matchsticks
- 100g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 60g pumpkin seeds
- 5g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 15g root ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp tahini
- ½ t tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 3/4 tbsp protein powder (soya bean, pea or whey)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together all the salad ingredients.
- In a small cup, mix together the salad dressing ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dress the salad and serve!
- Add a handful of dried goldenberries for a sweet tangy bite.
- Top with a tablespoon of ground flaxseed or chia seeds to boost the nutritional profile.
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.