Want a healthy, tasty and refreshing salad? Try this watermelon and cucumber salad! It is so simple to make yet delicious; great for hot days when you want something light to eat and a cooling salad to accompany spicy hot food. It makes a super side dish at barbecues and parties too.
Sweet refreshing chunks of watermelon are mixed in with crunchy cucumber chunks, fresh mint and peppery rocket. Lime juice gives a fresh tangy zing and chia seeds and pumpkin seeds add crunch (the chia seeds also help to thicken the dressing).
A variation of this salad includes adding a little cheese (vegan if required); the contrast of sweet, citrus, peppery rocket and creaminess is delicious!
This salad can be whipped up in under 15 mins and stores well in the fridge. I love taking leftovers for packed lunch!
Makes: 1 large bowl (serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side dish)
Preparation time: 12-15 mins
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 small watermelon cut into chunks
- 1 cucumber, cut into chunks
- 30g rocket leaves
- 10g chopped fresh mint
- 30g pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Black pepper, to taste
- 30g toasted pistachios (for a nutty crunch)
- 20g feta or vegan cheese, crumbled (adds a creamy, salty dimension)
- Marinade the chopped red onion with the lime juice for about 5 mins
- Whilst marinating, mix all other ingredients together in a large bowl. Then add the onion-lime dressing. Mix well.