Try these simple no-bake goldenberry fruit and fibre protein bars! They make healthy eating on the hop easy! These bars are a delicious combination of dried fruit mixed together with baobab superfruit powder, ground flaxseed, chia seeds and crispies of choice; brown rice, puffed quinoa and/ or protein crispies. There are no additives, colours or added sugars; clean-eating at its best! You can change the combination of dried fruit you use, but I love using tart zingy plump goldenberries, sweet apricots and cranberries, gooey caramel-like Medjool dates and earthy ruby goji berries.
The dried fruit and citrus-tasting baobab provide a good dose of antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, vitamins (including B vitamins) and fibre to support good general health, from boosting eye and immune health to liver and kidney detoxification. The flaxseed and chia add a healthy dose of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids, protein and fibre, helping to balance blood sugar levels, promote healthy gut detoxification, a healthy heart and circulatory system, glowing skin and shiny hair. (How about it? beautifying nutritious bars of goodness!). The quinoa and protein crispies fortify these bars with extra protein.
These bars are highly portable, making them ideal snacks for picnics, snacks to tuck away into your rucksack to fuel long walks and bike rides, for packed lunch, or to simply eat at home (with a nice cup of tea!)
Preparation time: 20 mins plus 1hr chilling time
Makes: 12 big bars
- 160g Medjool dates
- 120g dried apricots (ideally sulphur dioxide free)
- 120g dried goldenberries
- 50g dried cranberries
- 30g dried goji berries
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (you may need ½ tbsp. more if your dates and apricots are on the dry side)
- 3 tbsp. baobab powder
- 3 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp. chia seeds
- 70g crispies of choice: I used a mixture of puffed brown rice crispies (gluten-free if required), puffed quinoa and whey protein crispies. If you want to keep this vegan, simply replace the whey protein crispies with either of the former two ingredients.
- Line a rectangular tin measuring 10 x 6” (26cm X 15cm) with 2 layers of cling film (this will help you to lift the bars out of the tin later).
- Place the dates and apricots in a food processor or blender and blitz to form a gooey paste.
- Add the dried goldenberries, cranberries, goji berries and lemon juice and blitz to form a paste. Add the baobab powder, ground flaxseed and chia seeds and mix to combine. The paste will become quite dense.
- Tip this paste into a large bowl. Add the crispies of choice. Gently mix in the crispies into the paste using your hands. If the mixture is a little dry, add 1/3 tbsp. more of lemon juice.
- Transfer the dough-like mixture into the prepared tin and level with a spatula.
- Chill in the freezer for 1 hour (or 4 hours in the refrigerator), before slicing up into bars. Enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.