Who loves a good smoothie bowl? This acai berry cherry smoothie bowl has flavours reminiscent of black forest gateaux, but healthy and plant-based too! You have comforting chocolate notes from organic cacao, complex fruity notes from the acai berry and juicy sweet cherries, blueberries and dried goldenberrries mingled together with refreshing coconut water and dairy-free milk.
This smoothie bowl is really easy to make and delicious too; it is just a matter of throwing all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend! The hardest bit is deciding which toppings to use! I love to add a mixture of nuts, seeds, dried fruit and fresh cherries to provide different flavours and textures.
This smoothie bowl is packed with antioxidants from the cacao and berries and so help to boost immunity, brain, heart and digestive health. Furthermore, cacao is high in magnesium, which promotes a healthy heart, improves cognition and mood; a feel-good chocolate smoothie bowl sounds good to me!
I love to add some protein powder too, making this an ideal smoothie to power you up for a busy day or before a workout session or help recovery after exercise. Chia seed or ground flaxseed adds an omega-3, fibre boost and avocado gives a helping of healthy fat.
Serves: 2 (2 bowls)
Preparation time: 5 mins
- 50g blueberries
- 5 King Cherries (15 standard), stalks removed and pips removed. (Not necessary if frozen)
- 4 tbsp. goldenberries
- 2 frozen pre-sliced medium bananas
- 2 dates/ half a red apple/ 1/2 tsp. stevia or 1 tsp. maple syrup or date syrup
- 2 tbsp. protein powder (soya bean, pea or whey)
- 2 tbsp. Acai Omega superpowder
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds (or ground flaxseed)
- 25g chunk of avocado
- 1 tbsp. cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 100ml milk
- 100ml coconut water
- 6-8 ice cubes
To decorate: Toppings as desired. I have used:
- Fresh fruit and berries: raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, cherries, goldenberries.
- Nuts (sliced almonds, pistachios) and sunflower seeds
- Protein crispies (for non-vegans). Puffed brown rice or quinoa (for vegans)
- Place all ingredients in a blender or high-speed processor. Blend.
- Pour into a bowl. Decorate and serve.
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.