Why have just one superfood, when you can have two? Green tea AND wheatgrass. This overnight oats recipe is absolutely delicious and a super way to start the day. You have your slow release carbs, protein, fibre and omega-3s in one satisfying, easy to prepare bowl.
This green tea, ginger and wheatgrass recipe has the perfect balance of sweetness and warmth from ginger balanced with herbaceous notes from the green tea. Wheatgrass can have a discerning flavour (you do get used to it with time!), but in this recipe, its grassy flavour is masked by the both the green tea and ginger, making it a great way introduce newcomers to wheatgrass.
Why green tea? It is high in antioxidants antioxidants and healing compounds like polyphenols, which help protect your heart through lowering blood pressure. These chemicals help regulate blood sugar and so help prevent diabetes. Through its caffeine content, green tea may improve brain function, improve physical performance, increase fat burning and boost metabolic rate.
Why wheatgrass? Wheatgrass is a natural energiser through its ability to promote oxygenation of tissues and in this way, it is reported to help increase stamina and physical performance. It also helps boost your metabolism (through boosting thyroid gland activity) and so may help with weight loss.
Also, wheatgrass helps boost the immune system (due to the high levels of antioxidants), stabilise blood sugar levels, balance hormone levels (and so may improve sleep and mental health), reduce inflammation and improve detoxification of harmful toxins from the body.
With its light green colour, this recipe is great for Halloween or perhaps even St Patrick’s Day. I love this recipe in the autumn and winter when my palate wants spicier flavours, as provided here by the ginger. If you prefer to have your overnight oats hot, you can heat up the oats in the microwave or hob, before decorating.
Preparation time: 5 mins
- 50g Greek yoghurt or vegan yoghurt
- 200ml milk (vegan if required; I love almond and soy milk)
- 35g oats (gluten-free if required)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1.5 tbsp protein powder (soya bean, pea or whey)
- 1 stem ginger, sliced finely
- 1/8th tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp Matcha green tea powder
- ¼ tsp. wheatgrass
- In a bowl mix together the ingredients. Cover and leave in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- The overnight oats can be eaten cold or, if you prefer, you can heat up the oats (a few minutes in the microwave or on the hob; you may need to add a little more milk).
- Decorate as desired (perhaps as a spooked face for Halloween!) and serve. Enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.