Hands up who loves chocolate?! Me me me! How about some fudgy chocolate brownie truffles? They are chocolatey, fudgey and contain no refined sugar. Perfect with a cup of tea or as a pre-work out snack.
These truffles are enriched in protein and optional maca powder. To bump up the nutrition even more, they are rolled in hemp seeds.
Why eat hemp seeds?
Hemp seeds are not only rich in essential fatty acids, but contain them in one of the best ratios making them a fantastic anti-inflammatory superfood. They are also rich in a specific omega-6 fatty acid (GLA; gamma linolenic acid), which helps reduce inflammation, balance hormone levels, fight disease and decrease cholesterol levels. Their high fibre content helps maintain a healthy gut and may help in weight loss. Hemp seeds also provide a good dose of protein too.
These truffles are suitable for vegans, coeliacs, those avoiding processed foods and white sugar and those like me, simply wanting to eat more healthily. They also make delicious healthy treats or a gift (just pop in a jar with a ribbon around it!).
They are easy and quick to make, requiring only 20 mins preparation time (depends how fast you can roll!), do not require any baking and also freeze well, making them amenable to batch meal prepping.
One thing is for sure, these will satisfy your sweet cravings and you will be wondering why you didn’t make them sooner!
Makes: 10-12 truffles
Preparation time: 20 mins plus about 30 mins chilling time
- 30g protein powder (you can be adventurous here. Options: plain soy or pea protein powder or chocolate protein powder or peanut butter protein powder)
- 25g almond flour
- 25g cacao powder
- 2 tbsp. nut butter of choice (peanut, cashew, almond or sunflower seed butter all work well.
- 2 tbsp. milk of choice
- Optional: 2 tsp. maca powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. hemp seeds. You could also use cacao powder, ground nuts or blitzed up goji berries.
- Place all truffle ingredients in a blender and whizz to combine. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides with a spatula and repeat until all is mixed together.
- Put the hemp seeds in a small bowl or saucer.
- Using a teaspoon and using your hands, roll the mixture into equal sized balls. Then roll in the hemp seeds. Place balls on a plate or tupperware and place in the refrigerator for about 30 mins to set before eating. These last for about 2 weeks in the fridge and for months in the freezer.
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.