Know your noodles! I love noodles (and pasta!), but with a family history of type 2 diabetes I have them as an occasional treat. So imagine how happy I was to discover the plethora of veggie and pulse-based noodles and pastas available from retailers these days. Woo hoo!
My favourites are pea, edamame bean, lentil noodles and chick pea pasta. (I have yet to try black bean pasta!). What a great way to eat more veg and pulses! I think they are an ingenious way to encourage veggie-phobes and children to eat more veg! As they are not usually made with any grains, they are gluten-free, but note, some brands add in some wheat flour too.
So having found such an amazing range of products, I just had to create a recipe with one. Pea noodle, tofu and yellow bean stir-fry. A quick, healthy, nutrient packed recipe with loads of flavour, nutrition and so fresh and delicious.
I have also used yellow bean, a fermented soya based product full of good bacteria to look after your gut. It also adds a deep umami flavour to dishes, a little like miso paste and soya sauce. In addition, I have exploited the absorbent quality of chia seeds to help thicken the yellow bean sauce without the need for the more conventionally used cornflour or arrowroot, adding some extra fibre, protein and omega-3s. Alternatively, you could also use a little protein powder instead.
What I love about this dish is that it is also not greasy; far too often, noodles in restaurants are far too greasy for my liking. All you need is a smidgeon of coconut oil and a good quality non-stick pan! While I have specified veggies in this recipe, you could use whatever veg you have in the fridge drawer, making this an economical dish using up random bits of bits and bobs!
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 12 mins
- 1 tbsp. Yellow bean paste
- 100ml Water
- 1 tbsp. Chia seeds or protein powder (soya bean or pea)
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 plump garlic clove, sliced finely
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 230g Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 175g Tofu pieces (or equivalent. I used Marks and Spencer’s chilli and coriander soya chunks)
- 1 pepper, sliced thinly
- 150g Shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 275g Pea noodles or your noodle of choice
- 150g kalette leaves or kale, de-veined and sliced into strips
- 100g Mange tout or sugar snap peas, cut in half
- 1 tsp. soya sauce or tamari or liquid aminos
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1tsp. rice wine vinegar
- In a small bowl, add the yellow bean paste, water and chia seeds or protein powder if using. Mix to form a paste and set aside.
- In a large non-stick deep-bottomed pan or wok, melt a little coconut oil. Add the sliced garlic and sliced onion and cook on a medium heat for about 3 mins until the onion looks translucent.
- Add the shredded sprouts and sliced carrot. Cook for another 2 mins before adding the tofu pieces, noodles, sliced pepper and shitake mushrooms. Cook for 3 mins more before adding the yellow bean sauce.
- Add the noodles and mange tout/ sugar snap peas and rice wine vinegar, if using and soya sauce or equivalent. Cook for a further 4 mins until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve with fresh coriander.
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.