Pimp up your porridge! How about a bowl of protein porridge with sweet luscious raspberry chia jam, sliced apple and peanut butter to start the day? Creamy, fresh, crunchy, sweet and nutty! What a delicious combo!
This hypnotic looking bowl appeals to children and adults alike; I think it must be the chocolate and peanut butter drizzle! It is almost like having a dessert for breakfast, yet it is so healthy!
I have used dark chocolate for the drizzle, a little stevia and chia seeds for the chia jam and I have bumped up the nutritionals using hemp seeds and protein powder for the porridge.
Have you ever wondered why porridge keeps you full until lunchtime? It is due to its high fibre and protein content. The high fibre content (esp. beta-glucan) is responsible for lowering blood cholesterol, blood pressure and stabilising blood sugar levels too).
Sometimes I make extra chia jam so that I can have it the following day. For those trying to avoid waste, chia jam is great for those raspberries going a bit mushy and can be made using frozen raspberries too.
Makes: 2 bowls
Preparation: 10 mins
- 80g oats
- 220ml milk
- 220ml cold water
- ¼ tsp. sweetener of choice (e.g. stevia, date syrup, maple syrup, coconut sugar or Manuka honey for non-vegans)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. hemp seeds or chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. protein powder (soya bean or pea)
To decorate: Blueberries, raspberries chia jam pomegranate seeds, pomegranate seeds, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, melted chocolate and peanut butter
For the raspberry chia jam
- Handful of fresh raspberries,
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1/1 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ tsp. stevia or ½ tsp. sweetener of choice, (e.g. date syrup, rice syrup, agave or honey for non-vegans).
For the chocolate swirl
- 30g dark chocolate (melted in a microwave of bain marie)
- In a saucepan, add all the porridge ingredients, mix to combine using a wooden spoon.
- Simmer for 5-10 mins until the porridge is soft and creamy. If required, add more liquid (milk or water), to adjust consistency to your preference. (I like mine quite thick and creamy).
- Decorate with swirls of raspberry chia jam, peanut butter and melted chocolate, fresh fruit and pumpkin seeds.
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.
- For a spicier porridge, add ¼ tsp. ground ginger and ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Add 1 tbsp. cacao powder to the oats to make a chocolate porridge bowl.