The sun is shining, the sky is blue and what better way to cool down and reenergise but with healthy ice cream! Does healthy ice cream exist I hear you say? Yes! It’s called nice cream!
Nice cream is simply blended up frozen fruit, most frequently being frozen ripe bananas. When whizzed up in a high-speed blender you get a creamy soft Mr Whippy like-ice cream that is delicious and is free from dairy, added sugar, colours or preservatives. You can also create any flavour you fancy and it only takes under 5 minutes to prepare. Clean-eating at its best!
The grown-ups and kiddies in my household go nuts for nice cream. So much so, I often find myself buying extra bananas from the market with the intention of having extra to leave ripen to make nice-cream.
To boost up the protein content, I have added in some protein powder and wheatgrass, but this is optional.
You can of course serve your nice cream in a cone, but I love serving mine in a bowl so I can add loads of toppings. The only thing you need to remember is to freeze your bananas/ fruit beforehand (otherwise this recipe does not work!). Happy creating!
Preparation time: under 5 mins (using pre-frozen fruit)
- 2 bananas, sliced into coins and frozen
- 100g frozen pineapple chunks
- Large handful of spinach
- 2 tbsp. protein powder (soya bean and pea varieties keep this vegan)
- 1 tbsp. plant milk
- ¼-3/4 tsp. wheatgrass superfood powder (novices to wheatgrass may wish to opt for a lower amount as wheatgrass has quite a discerning flavour).
Fresh fruit: sliced grapes, raspberries, blueberries and pomegranate seeds.
- Simply place all ingredients into high-speed blender or food processor and mix. You will need a spatula to scrape down the contents and repeat the process a few times. Initially the mixture looks unpromising, but persist. The mixture will combine to form a beautiful creamy green nice cream!
- Decorate as desired and enjoy! If desired, you can pop this nice cream in the freezer for later. I have tried to show in my photos the texture. As it was a very hot day, it was a bit of a challenge trying to take a photo before this melted!!!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.