Summer wouldn’t be summer without some cooling, refreshing frozen treats. But why buy them, when you can make much healthier ones at home? These chocolate fudgy popsicles use a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of hands on time.
How do they taste? Melt in the mouth, creamy, chocolatey, like fudge, but not over-sweet…mmmm! Health-wise they are dairy-free, gluten-free and free from refined sugars. All you need are three ingredients: coconut milk, cacao powder and a little sweetener of choice and hey presto, popsicles done! You can whip these up in 5 mins (allowing 3 hrs+ for freezer time).
I have included some variations to the recipe, like including nut butter, maca powder, cacao nibs and protein powder, but these are not necessary. They taste wonderful with using just 3 ingredients.
I have used bear shaped silicone moulds (check out those chocolate bears!), but you can use any shape mould. No special moulds? No problem! You can use standard ice cube trays and pop in a lolly stick before putting the moulds into the freezer.
The only limiting factor with making your own frozen treats is freezer space!!
To give a deep cacao flavour, I love to use organic cacao powder. As you already probably know, cacao is one of the richest sources of polyphenols, especially flavonoids that play a big role in reducing inflammation and reducing cholesterol levels. So I guess these popsicles can be though of as immune boosting chocolate bear popsicles….I want another one now!
Makes: 6-7 popsicles (depending on the mould size)
Preparation time: 5 mins
Freezing time: 3hrs-overnight
- 1 400ml can of coconut milk (full fat variety to give the creamy texture)
- 3 tbsp. organic cacao powder
- ¾ tsp. stevia or 1.5 tbsp. coconut sugar or maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp. cacao nibs; these give a nibbly antioxidant crunch
- Add in 1.5 tbsp. protein powder to make protein chocolate popsicles
- Add in 1.5 tbsp. nut butter or seed butter of choice. Peanut butter, cashew, almond, tahini butter work well
- Add in 1.5 tsp. maca powder for some energy boost/ hormone regulation
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor of choice and blend.
- Pour into mould of choice.
- Pop in the lolly sticks.
- Freeze for 3hrs-overnight. Pop out of the moulds. Enjoy!