How are you coping in this heat? With it being one of the hottest summers in years, we love cooling down with refreshing frozen treats like this simple mango omega-3 nice cream. (We just need a bigger freezer!)
Not made frozen nice cream before? No worries. All you need is your freezer, a high-speed blender and 3 -4 mins of blending time.
How does it taste? Creamy, like soft whip ice cream, but healthy! I have tried to capture the texture in the next few pics!
Nice cream has no added sugar, no added dairy and it is easy to vary up the flavours using different frozen fruit and/ or superpowders (hence being called ‘nice instead of ‘ice’ cream!). It works on the fact that frozen bananas, blend up to form a creamy consistency. You do not need to add sweetener as the banana (and any other frozen fruit you care to add), adds sufficient sweetness.
Nice cream therefore makes a good choice for those avoiding added sugars, for vegans, for lactose-intolerant folk, for those who just want to eat more clean and it is really popular among children and adults alike. (I promise, they wont even know if is healthy!)
How to prepare your frozen fruit? Slice up your ripe bananas into coins, bung into a freezer bag and freeze. Similarly, with frozen fruit, wash, allow to air dry and chop up into manageable chunks in your blender and freeze. Easy! Then you are ready to make nice cream!
To superboost up this mango nice cream, I have added Omega-3 Superpowder, which is a blend of goldenberry powder, milled flaxseeds, milled chia seeds and acai powder. What a delicious way to get your Omega-3s!
Other optional extras are given in the recipe below.
Preparation time: 2 mins (to chop up your fruit!) and then freezing time (I freeze for overnight at least).
Blending time: 3-4 mins
- 3 large ripe bananas, frozen
- 200g frozen mango
- 1 tsp. Omega 3 Superpowder
- 5 tbsp. milk (I use plant milk).
To decorate: as desired
- Add 1 tsp. Vitalising Superpowder for a kick of anti-inflammatory turmeric.
- Add 2 tsp. baobab superpowder for an extra zingy kick
- Add 1 tbsp. plain protein powder to boost up the protein profile.
- Add all ingredients, except the milk into a blender and blend. You will need to stop the blender and scrape down the sides with a spatula a few times until the fragments of frozen fruit start to “stick’ to each other.
- Then add the milk and continue with blending. The frozen fruit magically transforms into a creamy consistency.
- Spoon into bowls and decorate as desired. Enjoy.