These delicious pancakes make a super healthy start to the day. They are rich in protein, yet with some slow-release carbs to sustain you. Moreover, they are sugar-free too! (The sweetness from banana is more than ample).
They are very easy and quick to make (10 ingredients, not including toppings). The fun bit is deciding which topping you want!
Makes: 6 medium sized pancakes
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: Approx 2 mins each side per pancake
For the pancakes:
- 30g rolled oats (gluten-free if required)
- 25g peanut flour (I use Sukrin brand). This can be substituted for more oats or coconut flour if you do not have peanut flour
- 50g Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp protein powder (soya bean, pea and whey work well)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ ripe banana
- Pinch of salt
- Coconut oil to cook with
Optional: ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g Dark chocolate (I use sugar-free dark chocolate, but anything over 70% cocoa solids is pretty good) or sugar-free chocolate buttons
- 100ml water or 50ml whipping cream and 50ml milk. You can make this sauce with either!
- Optional: whey protein crispies (for a great crunchy texture and a protein boost!)
Other suggested toppings:
- Peanut butter (you have so many flavours to choose from these days! eg. Chocolate, chilli, banana)
- Greek yoghurt
- Crème fraiche
- Fresh fruit
- Fresh fruit. Eg. raspberries, blueberries and physallis (goldenberry)
- Place the rolled oats in a food processor and whizz to form an oat flour. Add the peanut flour or coconut flour to the oat flour.
- Add the Greek yoghurt, protein powder, beaten eggs, baking powder, half a banana, pinch of salt and cinnamon, if using. Whizz to form the pancake batter.
- Heat a frying pan with a little coconut oil. Using a tablespoon, plop about 2 tablespoons of batter into the pan. Cook for about 2 mins on a medium heat until the pancake starts forming air bubbles on the upper surface. Using a turner, flip the pancake onto the other side (this now upper side should be golden brown) and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Repeat to use up all of the batter mix.
- Assemble the pancakes in a little tower. Add your favourite topping and enjoy!
- If making chocolate sauce, make a bain-marie: melt the chocolate by placing the chocolate in a heatproof jug over a saucepan of boiling water and medium heat. Alternatively, melt the chocolate in a microwave proof bowl or jug. Then mix in the cream and milk or water. Pour chocolate sauce over them & garnish with whey protein crispies and fresh fruit.
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.