Mmmm! You know it’s going to be a good day when you start the day with chocolate! This chocolate banana overnight oats is the perfect breakfast for the chocoholic; tasting indulgently chocolatey and creamy, but it is actually healthy! (Funnily enough, it goes down well with the children too!).
You have deep chocolate notes from cacao powder, creamy fluffy oats sweetened by ripe banana and a little stevia. I love to add toppings: sweet juicy berries, sliced soft banana, crunchy cacao nibs, fragrant pumpkin seeds and tangy chewy cacao-coated goldenberries to add nutrients, texture and flavour.
Overnight oats are simply oats soaked in liquid overnight (this can be with the milk of your choice, fruit, water or even coconut water). By absorbing up the liquid, the oats soften to a creamy consistency. If you like your oats to be hot, simply heat up in the microwave or on the hob.
You can alter the thickness to suit your palate (I like mine quite thick). Technically speaking, you do not have to soak the oats overnight, but for a minimum of 2hrs for it to come together. Overnight oats are not just for breakfast; they also make a delicious healthy snack.
By soaking the oats in Mason jars or Tupperware, you can make your overnight oats highly portable, making it ideal for a grab and go breakfast. Once soaked, you can keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days too making them super convenient for busy people.
Makes: 1 bowl
Preparation: 5 mins
- 50g yoghurt of choice (plant-based if required)
- 35g rolled oats (gluten-free if required)
- 125ml milk (plant-based if required) or half milk and half coconut water if preferred
- 1/2 a ripe banana (approx. 50g)
- 1 ½ tbsp. protein powder (soya bean, pea and whey varieties work well)
- 1 ½ tbsp. cacao powder
- 1 tbsp. cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- ¼ tsp. stevia (or ½ tsp. date syrup, agave or coconut sugar)
- Pinch of salt
Sliced banana (the other half!), blueberries, raspberries, cacao nibs, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts and cacao-coated goldenberries
- Mix all the ingredients (except the toppings) together in a blender.
- Pour into a bowl or Mason jar or tupperware. Cover and put in the fridge for at least 2hrs or overnight.
- Alter the consistency with a little more milk if required. Decorate with your toppings of choice. Enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.