What better way to start the day but with a green smoothie! But how to make it taste good? I love to balance sweet mango (or pineapple) with handfuls of spinach and a dash of wheatgrass to help energise, detox and boost your immune system.
Why wheatgrass? Wheatgrass is a super addition to your diet, helping to boost metabolism (which may help with weight loss), stabilise blood sugar levels, balance hormone levels, reduce inflammation and promote detoxification of harmful toxins from the body.
Using green tea or coconut water as the base makes this smoothie super-refreshing and dairy-free. I love to boost the protein content by also adding protein powder (plant-based varieties work well like soya bean and pea as does whey), though this is optional.
By using frozen spinach and mango, the smoothie is decadently thick, but don’t worry if you they are not frozen; just add one or two more ice cubes. The smoothie will still taste just as good but will not be quite as thick.
Makes: 1 glass (approx. 450ml
Preparation time: 5 mins
- 150g mango
- 3 ice cubes
- 60g frozen spinach
- 50g avocado
- ½ red apple
- 250ml coconut water or green tea (or even a mixture of the two!)
- 2-3cm fresh ginger, peeled
- 5 tbsp. protein powder (pea, soya bean or whey, as preferred)
- ½ tbsp. chia seeds or flaxseed
- ¼ – ½ tsp. wheatgrass powder
Optional: 1 tsp. baobab superfruit powder (to add lemony zing, antioxidants and fibre).
- Add all ingredients into a blender or food processor. Blend to combine. Taste and adjust. If you like it sweeter, you can add ¼ tsp stevia or ½ tsp maple or date syrup.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.