Healthy snacking made easy! How about some no refined sugar, protein-enriched protein granola bars? These are crunchy, fragrant with chewy bits (the dried goldenberries) and so delicious. A flavourful delight!
These bars can be whipped up in 20 mins and they bake in under 20 mins. These are ideal as a portable breakfast, packed lunch or as a pre or post-workout snack. Caution though: if you are taking these to work, pack extra as your colleagues will want some!!!
These granola bars are enriched with chia and flaxseed, adding a protein, fibre and omega-3 boost. They keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks in a sealed airtight container and also freeze well. I like to make a big batch and freeze some for weeks ahead.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Baking time: 16-20 mins
Makes: 12-16 small bars
- Dry ingredients:
- 120g rolled oats (gluten free if required)
- 80g mixed nuts (I used a mixture of pistachios, almonds and hazelnuts)
- 80g mixed seeds (I used pumpkin, chia and flaxseeds)
- 45g coconut sugar
- 50g dried goldenberries
- 40g raisins
- 20g rice crispies or puffed quinoa
- 20g toasted coconut flakes
- 3 tbsp. protein powder (pea or soya bean)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 70g coconut oil
- 100 nut butter of choice peanut butter, almond, cashew, sunflower seed, pumpkin)
- 50g liquid sweetener, e.g. maple, agave, brown rice syrup
- Grease & line a baking tray measuring approx. 8 X 11″with greaseproof paper & spray coconut oil. Preheat the oven to 180º
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: oats, chopped nuts, seeds, coconut sugar, dried goldenberries, raisins, rice crispies or puffed quinoa, coconut flakes, protein powder cinnamon and salt
- Put the coconut oil, nut butter and sweetener in a saucepan on a low heat and mix to combine.
- Mix together the wet ingredients with the dry.
- Pour into the prepared baking tin & level using a spatula. Bake for 26-20 mins until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing up into bars. These store for about 2 weeks in the fridge and can also be frozen.
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.