Roll, up roll up, who wants a butterscotch chocolate energy ball? Imagine a soft crumbly oat ball, with a dark-chocolate crispy base, coated in fragrant crunchy sesame seeds. I think it is my favourite energy ball at the moment, making a delicious change from date based ones!
These no bake balls are packed with protein from tahini, ground flaxseed and protein powder. The tahini helps bind the balls together and combined with the maca, impart a delicious butterscotch flavour.
Why eat maca?
This ancient Incan superfood is crammed with essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids and phytonutrients, making it a nutritional powerhouse.
It helps increases the body’s resistance to the damaging effects of stress and disease. It helps to regulate, support and balance hormonal systems and so is good to balance mood (including stress, anxiety and depression, menstrual issues) and boost energy levels. It is reputed to be good for sexual health, improving libido and fertility in both men and women. It also helps give you radiant glowing skin.
If you do not have maca, you can simply omit and use cacao powder instead to make these more chocolatey. You can also use Cacao + Superpowder which combines cacao with maca and bee pollen (suitable therefore for non-vegans).
These balls do not require baking and freeze well. They make fabulous portable snacks (be it for healthy snacks at the gym, at work or commuting). They also make perfect petit fours after dinner with a cup of your favourite brew.
Makes: 14 X 15g balls
Preparation time: 45 mins
Chilling time: 30 mins
- 100g instant oats (gluten-free of required)
- 20g ground flaxseed
- 20g protein powder (soya bean or pea protein)
- 2 tsp. maca powder or Cacao + superpowder or cacao
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 5 tbsp. tahini (sunflower seed, cashew or peanut butter butter also works)
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp. water
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 25g dark chocolate
- 10g black sesame seeds
- Put the oats in a blender or food processor and blend to form a fine oat flour.
- Add the ground flaxseed, protein powder, maca or alternative and sea salt, Pulse to combine.
- Add the tahini, melted coconut oil, water and vanilla extract. Blitz again to form a dough.
- Using your hands, take tablespoons of the mixture and roll into balls.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave or in a bain-marie and line a plate or tray with greaseproof paper. Pour the black sesame seeds in a saucer.
- Part-dip each oat ball in melted chocolate, then the black sesame seeds and then place on the greaseproof paper.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 mins to set before serving. Enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.