Power up and recharge with a berry beet smoothie! This luscious deep pink smoothie is packed with berries, beetroot and veggies. A great way to start the day and recharge! I love this one also as a pre or post-workout bowl (especially with that stamina –promoting beetroot!).
The sweetness of the berries is balanced with the savoury goodness from the veggies. To bump up the nutritionals, I have also added chia seeds and protein powder.
Why eat beetroot?
Beetroot is packed with so many nutrients. It is rich in nitrates which when metabolised in the body, helps reduce blood pressure (through vasodilation of blood vessels) and improve blood flow to organs so is believed to boost exercise endurance and stamina (hence often eaten by athletes) and improve cognition. Beetroot also contains an amino acid called betaine, which helps to detoxify the liver and may help to decrease heart disease risk.
The purple pigment in beetroot is actually betacyanin and this may help protect against carcinogens. Beetroot is also rich in potent anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories so excellent for fighting disease. Its high fibre content (especially insoluble fibre) helps promotes a healthy digestive tract.
Preparation time: 5 mins
- 150g mixed berries. I used blackberries, blackcurrants and raspberries
- 1 tsp. beetroot powder or 1 small beetroot ball (the unpickled variety)
- 1 frozen banana
- 80g courgette (1/3 large courgette)
- 50g carrot (1/2 large carrot)
- 3 tbsp. protein powder (pea or soya bean)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 80ml plant milk
- 2 tsp. of acai-containing Vitalising Superpowder for and Omega-3 boost or 1/2 tsp acai powder
- 1 tsp baobab superpowder for a citrussy vitamin C kick
- 1/8 segment of avocado for some healthy fats
- Fresh fruit. I used fresh strawberries, blueberries, melon balls
- Seeds and nuts. I used pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, hazelnuts and goji berries
- Goji berries
- Place all the above ingredients into a blender and whizz. Pour into two bowls and decorate.
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.