Do you say aubergine or eggplant? (I say aubergine!). With it being the start of the aubergine season, I thought I’d create an aubergine inspired dish. A random fact here: did you know aubergines are actually a fruit? (They grow from a flowering plant and contain seeds!)
Just imagine biting into creamy roasted aubergine topped with juicy sweet cherry tomatoes, a savoury miso umami layer, fragrant toasted black sesame seeds and hemp seeds. The cherry tomatoes burst upon roasting, releasing their juices into the aubergine boat below. The miso paste mix contains chia seeds, which adds extra protein, omega-3s and fibre, but also serves to soak up these juices to make an instant sauce. How easy is that!
To boost up the miso-paste mixture, I have added a little protein powder, bit this is optional. (It also makes the paste more creamy!)
This is an incredibly easy and tasty dish; it’s just a case of scoring the aubergine, making the paste, coating each aubergine, piling on the cherry tomatoes and throwing in the oven for about 18-20 mins. Then scatter some seeds on top!
Why eat aubergines?
Aubergines are high in antioxidants, especially anthocyanins (which accounts for the deep purple colour), so help protect against cell damage caused by free radicals and therefore helps prevent against chronic disease like cancer.
The high fibre content of aubergines means they also help promote good gut health and help stabilise blood sugar levels (so help prevent diabetes and maybe aid weight loss). Aubergines are also a good source of the mineral manganese, important in forming strong bones and B vitamins (B1 an B6), critical for energy release. Some studies suggest that aubergines may also help lower blood cholesterol levels and so help promote good heart health.
So without further ado, here’s the recipe!
Preparation time: under 10 mins
Roasting time: 18-20 mins
1 medium-large aubergine
- 1 generous tsp. miso paste
- ½ tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- ½ -3/4 tsp. soy sauce or tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 tsp. water
- 1tsp. tahini
- 1 tsp. protein powder (soya bean or pea; optional).
- 1 large handfuls of cherry tomatoes (about 30), halved
To garnish: A sprinkle of hemp seeds and toasted black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Slice the aubergine in half lengthways.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- In a small bowl mix together all the miso layer ingredients to form a paste. Using a knife, apply an even layer of the miso paste mixture onto each aubergine half.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Load up each aubergine half with the cut cherry tomatoes.
- Roast in the oven for 18-20 mins until the tomatoes start browning.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle over with some toasted black sesame seeds and hemp seeds. Serve.
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.