Are you a tofu lover? Some people say tofu is bland and boring. To those I say, try this recipe!! Just like pasta or chia seeds, tofu is a blank canvas. Once flavoured up right, it is truly delicious!
This scrambled tofu recipe is packed with flavour; chilli heat from the harissa and aromatic warmth from the turmeric. An optional extra is black salt (also known as kala namak). This black salt adds an incredible eggy flavour to the tofu and is readily available on-line.
I love to eat mine on a bed of garlicky guacamole and toasted crunchy sourdough as a brunch or light supper with a generous sprinkling of pomegranate seeds.
I try to eat something raw with all my meals and so I like to pair this toast with salad, like this crunchy sweet rainbow carrot and apple salad.
This is a great dish for vegans but also for those wanting to reduce their consumption of animal products. It cooks as quickly as scrambled eggs and is as pillowy soft as scrambled eggs too.
Tofu is a fabulous way to get your plant-based protein. It contains all 9 essential amino acids. Some research indicates that soy protein (from which tofu is derived), helps reduce levels of bad cholesterol and so helps look after your heart. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals like iron, potassium, magnesium and vitamin B. Add to that some turmeric and you know you are in for a winning healthy combination!
Preparation time: 15 mins
For the scrambled tofu
- Half a small red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. harissa paste (I love rose harissa)
- 150g firm tofu, blotted
- 1/3 tsp. Vitalising superpowder or 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- Large pinch, approx. 1/8 tsp. black salt
- Pinch of salt and ground black pepper
To garnish: a handful of pomegranate seeds and edible rose petals
2 slices of sourdough bread
For the carrot salad
- ¼ red apple
- 4 rainbow carrots
- 6 pecans
- 5 raisins or dried goldenberries
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
½ ripe avocado
- ½ clove garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- Large pinch of chilli flakes
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Blot the tofu to remove excess moisture (I use a kitchen towel and a big book to compress out the moisture!). While blotting, make the other components.
- Slice up the apples finely into strips. Place in a small bowl.
- Using a potato peeler, make carrot shavings. Add to the apple.
- Add the pecans and dried fruit of choice.In a small bowl, mix together the salad dressing ingredients and dress the salad. Set aside.
To make the guacamole, in a small bowl mash the avocado using the back of a fork. Add the lime juice, garlic, chilli flakes and season to taste. Set aside.
To make the scramble.
- Coarsely break up the tofu, leaving some as nice big chunks.
- In a small frying pan, using a little coconut or rapeseed oil, fry the diced onion for 2 mins. Add the harissa paste. Fry for 1 more minute. Add the crumbled tofu, Vitalising Superpowder or turmeric and black salt if using.
- Fry for about 5 mins. Whilst cooking, toast up your sourdough. Once cooked, taste the tofu scramble and season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Assembly time. Spread the guacamole on the sourdough, top with the tofu scramble and garnish with edible rose petals and a generous helping of pomegranate seeds. Serve with the apple and carrot salad. Enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.