Do you get your five fruit and veg a day? Well how about packing in the fruit with a healthy fruit salad? I find starting the day with fruit energises me; a perfect way to break the overnight fast and ensure I don’t reach for the office treats come 10.30am!
I love to boost up the nutrient profile of my fruit salads by adding superfoods like acai, pink pittaya, beetroot powder, protein powder, ground flaxseed, hemp seeds, chia seeds and dried goldenberries. One of my favourite ways to eat fruit salad is with a fruity protein yoghurt; it adds a touch of creamy decadence, akin to strawberries and cream, but healthier! This recipe below is for acai and baobab protein yoghurt.
To add texture and interest, I love combining different textures to my fruit salad. For crunchiness I love adding fresh apple, granola, nuts and seeds. For chewiness and aroma I love adding toasted coconut. For succulence I love adding fresh seasonal fruit, e.g. pineapple, mango, peach, nectarines, lychees, melon, fresh raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and persimmon. For chewiness I love to add dried goldenberries, which are tart and sweet or some earthy goji berries.
Sometimes I see pre-made fruit salads in the supermarkets and fast food outlets, but nothing beats homemade fruit salad, especially with the superfood extras. I love fruit salad for not only breakfast but as a snack during the day. Sometimes I add some veggies to my fruit salad too (why not?!)
The fruity protein yoghurt is very simple to make, but I have many readers contact me to ask me for the recipe. So here goes!
Preparation time: 10 mins
For the acai protein yoghurt
- 6 tbsp. yoghurt (plant-based if required)
- 1 tbsp. protein powder (pea and soy work well)
- 1 tsp. Omega-3 Superpowder
- 1 tsp. Baobab superpowder
- 1 tsp. of limejuice if required (if the texture becomes grainy, you can dissipate this with a little lime juice).
For the fruit salad
Fruit of choice: I used fresh blackberries, melon balls, blueberries, raspberries, apple, persimmon, quinoa crispies, fresh goldenberries (physallis), dried goldenberries, ground flaxseed, toasted coconut, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and sunflower seeds.
- In a small bowl, mix together the acai protein yoghurt ingredients; adding a little lime juice if the mixture becomes a little grainy.
- In a bowl, build your fruit salad with the ingredients of choice. Spoon the acai protein yoghurt on top.
- To make the persimmon flowers: using a sharp knife, slice one or two slices off a fresh persimmon. Use a cake decorating flower cutter to cut out flower shapes. Using a teaspoon or chopstick end, place a few chia seeds in the centre of each flower to look like stamens. You can always place a few pumpkin seeds strategically around the persimmon flowers to look like petals.
- Sprinkle some nuts and seeds on top. Serve and enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.