Salads are not just for Summer! Try this fragrant roast cauliflower salad with notes of cinnamon, sumac, fresh mint and herbaceous fresh parsley. Add to this some sweet pomegranate, crunchy creamy pistachios, crisp pumpkin seeds, tart chewy goldenberries and a creamy spiced dressing and you have a salad full of flavour and freshness and perfect for Wintery cool days. To make this salad heartier, I love to serve this with some wild rice or quinoa.
This salad is delicious hot or cold and as a side salad (maybe in Buddha bowls) or as a main meal. It is eye-catching and tasty enough to be served at dinner parties but also fabulous for everyday. It keeps well in the fridge (without the dressing on) making it a perfect portable and healthy lunch during the working week.
For a more fragrant nutty finish, you can toast the pistachios and pumpkin seeds in a frying pan on a low heat (no oil required) for a few minutes.
To superboost the salad dressing I love to add some chia seeds. This also helps to thicken the dressing so it coats the salad ingredients lovingly. An optional extra to the salad dressing is protein powder, which also makes the dressing creamier. I tend to use plant-based protein powders, but whey protein powder also works well.
Serves: 4 as a side salad, 2 as a main meal
- Ingredients: 25-30 mins
- 1 head of cauliflower (approx. 650-750g)
- 2-3 tbsp. olive or rapeseed oil
For the salad:
- 60g pomegranate seeds
- 10g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 10g fresh mint, finely chopped
- 50g pistachios, shelled
- 20g pumpkin seeds
- Large handful of dried goldenberries
For the Dressing:
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. stevia or 2 tsp. maple syrup
- ¾ tsp. sumac
- 1/4tsp. (heaped) ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp. chia seeds
- Optional: 3 tbsp. Protein powder (I use pea or soya bean)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 230ºC, 440ºF.
- Cut the cauliflower up into small florets. Coat the florets in the olive or rapeseed oil. Place spaced apart on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20 mins until softened and golden. While roasting, you can make the rest of the salad
- In a large bowl, mix together the pomegranate seeds, fresh chopped parsley and mint, pistachios and pumpkin seeds.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Once cooked, add the cauliflower to the rest of the salad ingredients along with the salad dressing. Toss to coat and serve. Enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.