Are you dreaming of a white Christmas? How about making your own snow? These lemon coconut snowballs remind me of snowballs! These no-bake zingy balls are fragrantly coconutty, zingy from fresh lemon juice and superfruit powder, with a touch of creamy decadence from coconut cream. What superfruit powder? To add a fruity punch, I love to add baobab or Goldenberry and Chia seed Superpowder blend for extra nutrition and zinginess.
What is baobab?
Baobab superfruit powder is made from the ground pulp of the baobab tree, also known as ‘the tree of life’. It has a delicious tangy citrus lemon-sherbert flavour, is packed with vitamin C, fibre & antioxidants, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, zinc & vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, B7; nutrients to give you an energy boost, support the immune system and reduce fatigue. It may also help in blood sugar regulation and hence a good choice for to protect against insulin insensitivity.
What are goldenberries?
Goldenberries are succulent orange-colour superfruits that have an impressive nutritional profile: they are rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, high in protein, and superb source of vitamin A, iron, vitamin C, potassium and fibre and B vitamins (B1, B2 and B6). They therefore offer a wide range of nutritional benefits, improving general health and well-being, boosting immune function, cardiovascular health, eye health, and may help in weight loss. Studies have shown that they also seem to help stabilise blood sugar and help in liver and kidney detoxification. They taste sweet but tart at the same time.
These lemon coconut snowballs can be whipped up in an hour and need only 10 ingredients (1 being optional!). I love to decorate mine with a drizzle of dark chocolate. I love it when the chocolate spills over to form little pedestal like shapes; I think they add to the cuteness of the balls! (They almost look like little feet!)
These snowballs are the perfect gift especially for those following a vegan, plant-based, gluten-free and paleo diet. I love to pop some in a jar with a ribbon and a hand written tag ties around its neck; an easy delicious hand made gift, made with love.
These balls also freeze well; so can be made in advance. I love to serve these with a cup of tea as petit fours after a meal or as portable snacks on the go.
To bump up the nutritionals, you can add optional protein powder too. To keep this vegan, I opt for plant-based protein powder like pea and soya bean and dairy-free dark chocolate.
Makes: 16 snowballs
Preparation time: 50 mins
Chilling time: 10 mins
- 150g desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp. protein powder (if using; if not, you can substitute for 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed or more coconut)
- 2 tbsp. Goldenberry and Chia Seed Superpowder blend or baobab superfruit powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2.5 tbsp. maple syrup or honey (if non-vegan)
- 40g coconut cream
- 20g melted coconut oil
- Juice of half a lemon (medium sized)
To decorate: 60g dark chocolate
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the dry ingredients: desiccated coconut, protein powder or flaxseed (if using), Goldenberry and Chia Seed Superpowder blend or baobab, salt and lemon zest.
- Add the wet ingredients: maple syrup or honey, coconut cream, melted coconut oil and lemon juice to form a dough.
- Roll the mixture into equal-sized balls. Alternatively, you can use a 1tbsp-measuring spoon and your hands to shape each snowball: compress a little coconut mixture into the well of the spoon and gently push out with your finger to retain the dome shape. Place on a tray lined with greaseproof paper. Once all snowballs are made, place the tray in the freezer and repeat until all the mixture is used up. Leave in the freezer while you melt the chocolate.
- Break the dark chocolate into squares and place in a heatproof bowl. Using a microwave or bain-marie, melt the chocolate to form a molten fluid.
- Retrieve the snowballs from the freezer. Using a teaspoon, scoop up some molten chocolate and drizzle over the snowballs. Place in the fridge to set (or freezer for 5 mins if you are in a hurry!). Serve of place in jars if gifting. Enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.