Do you have some fresh or frozen berries that need eating up? Or do you want a quick 5-minute recipe for healthy fruity snacks? If so, how about making these little berry melts?
These melts are named as they melt in your mouth; a little like healthy fudge! They are made of nothing but healthy ingredients and take about 5 minutes to prepare plus freezing time. I love to make a batch and so if I want something a little sweet after a meal of before a workout, I can just reach into my freezer and grab some. Handy healthy snacks! These snacks also a super convenient (and crafty way to get the kids to eat more fruit!
You can of course use any mould you want. I used heart shaped silicone moulds as I have been making them for Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day.
These hearts are nutritious (check those antioxidants!), vegan, gluten-free and free from refined sugars. The soaked cashews or cashew butter add creaminess as well as a dose of healthy fats. You can also boost up the nutritional profile by adding Omega-3 Superpowder; a blend of acai, sacha inchi and coconut and protein powder or ground flaxseed.
Makes: 16-18 small hearts
Preparation time: 5 mins
Freezing time: 1 hour (longer if making big melts)
- 200g blackberries (I used frozen). You can use raspberries, blackberries and blueberries too.
- 1tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. maple syrup (2tsp. if you have a sweet tooth; honey if non-vegan)
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 45g cashew butter (you can use 45g of cashews soaked in boiling water for 60 mins)
- 1 tbsp. protein powder (I use pea or soya bean) or ground flaxseed
- Optional: 1/2tbsp. Omega-3 SuperpowderOmega-3 Superpowder
- In a blender or food processor, blend the blackberries with the lemon juice to form a puree.
- Add the maple syrup or honey (if non vegan) melted coconut oil, cashew butter or soaked cashews, protein powder or ground flaxseed and Omega-3 superpowder, if using. Blend to form a smooth paste.
- Using a spatula, fill your silicone moulds and level. Place in the freezer for about an hour for small bites (2 hrs if the bites are a lot bigger).
- Eat these bites from the freezer (as the name suggests, they melt quickly!). Enjoy.
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.