With all this talk of coronavirus, I am thinking about how to bolster my immune system. It seems crazy that antibac gel, cleaning agents, emergency food supplies have run out or are being rationed. This got me thinking, wouldn’t the best line of defence be to strengthen your own immune system to resist infection or make a faster recovery should you succumb to Covid-19 or any other bug?
From this, my antioxidant, anti-inflammatory nutrient packed immune boosting green smoothie bowl was borne. It is packed with bug-fighting anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories, protein and fibre to keep you fighting fit.
This smoothie bowl is loaded with fruit and veggies and immune boosting superfoods: baobab and dried goldenberries.
Baobab is a superfruit powder is made from the ground pulp of the baobab tree, also known as ‘the tree of life’. It has a delicious tangy citrus flavour, is packed with vitamin C, fibre & antioxidants, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, zinc & vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, B7; nutrients to give you an energy boost, support the immune system and reduce fatigue. It may also help in blood sugar regulation and hence a good choice for to protect against insulin insensitivity.
Goldenberries are succulent orange-colour superfruits that have an impressive nutritional profile: they are rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, high in protein (16% protein!), and superb source of vitamin A, iron (more so than spinach), vitamin C, potassium (more so than bananas) and fibre (more so than prunes!) and B vitamins (B1, B2 and B6). They therefore offer a wide range of nutritional benefits, improving general health and well-being, boosting immune function, cardiovascular health, eye health, and may help in weight loss. Studies have shown that they also seem to help stabilise blood sugar and help in liver and kidney detoxification.
I love to start the day with a smoothie bowl; it feels so nourishing and energising. The recipe below makes 2 bowls. Sometimes I make one to eat now and save a portion for later on in the day. (I just add the toppings just before I am about to eat to keep the granola nice and crunchy).
Preparation time: 5 mins
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 large handful of kale
- 2 bananas (previously sliced and frozen; this makes the smoothie more creamy)
- 150g mango chunks or pineapple chunks or berries (to naturally sweeten the smoothie)
- ¼ segment of cucumber cut into chunks
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and roughly sliced
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds or flaxseed
- 1 heaped tbsp. baobab superfruit power
- 2-3 tbsp. protein powder (depending on training needs)
- 70ml coconut water or plant milk
- Optional: for a dose of healthy fats, add ¼ avocado or 1 tbsp cashew butter.
- Optional: for a ginger kick, add a small knob of fresh root ginger that has been peeled.
Toppings: I used:
- Dried goldenberries
- Fresh berries
- Cacao nibs
- Hemp seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processer and whizz to combine. You will need to stop and scrape down the sides with a spatula a couple of times.
- Pour into two bowls. Decorate as desired. Enjoy!
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.