Looking for a healthy snack? How about these 3 –ingredient peanut butter nests?
They are quick to make, contain no-refined sugar, are gluten-free, vegan, no bake and delicious too.
I call them peanut butter nests, but you can use any nut butter (and then call them nutty nests!). Taste wise; you have a nest made of sweet dried fruit, caramel-like Medjool dates and crunchy nuts and a central pool of silky smooth nut butter.
These little nests can be frozen too, making them ideal for meal prepping. They make great snacks whilst curled up on the sofa, as after dinner treats with a cup of tea or as lunch box snacks (note: runny peanut butter will spill while travelling so if you want portable snacks, choose a more firm nut butter).
I think these look rather cute and make a lovely gift. I am now thinking, shall I make some for Fathers Day?!
Makes: 7 nests
Preparation time: 20 mins
- 4 large Medjool dates, seed removed
- 2 packets of trail mix (I used Nature’s Heart Smoky paprika, pineapple, almonds and cashews, which also contains chia seeds. Nature’s Heart Pineapple and Chilli cashews also works well)
- 7 teaspoons of smooth peanut butter (or nut butter of choice)
- In a blender, roughly blitz the trail mix into small pieces, although not too finely, to allow some crunch to remain.
- Add the de-seeded Medjool dates and whizz again to combine into a sticky paste.
- Using your hands, roll the sticky paste into equal sized balls. Then using your thumb, indent each ball and mould the ball into a nest with your fingers. Place on a plate and repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Using a teaspoon, spoon in peanut butter (or nut butter of choice), into each nest. Enjoy! Alternatively, you can store in the fridge for short-term storage or freeze.