This smoothie makes a delicious change to the traditional fruit-based ones. It is refreshing, dairy-free and packed with nutrients. Its vibrant colour is down to the spinach and avocado in it. A super way to get your 5, or is it 10 portions of fruit and veg a day?!
I have used a little apple to sweeten this smoothie. However, it you prefer, a sugar substitute like stevia or lucuma powder works well.
To make this smoothie even more nutrient–rich and satisfying, I add ground chia or ground flaxseed, which boosts the omega, fibre and protein content. To increase the protein content even further, I add protein powder too (soya bean, pea and whey varieties work well).
If you do not want to any of these supplements, simply omit for a less creamy smoothie or substitute for 25g silken tofu, steamed squash, cauliflower or pumpkin.
I love this smoothie; it is refreshing, healthy and satisfying, making it a super healthy breakfast, pre-work out drink and great to boost your energy levels.
Makes: 1 glass (approx. 300ml)
Preparation time: 3 mins
- 14 cashews, soaked in 60ml water or green tea or coconut water for at least 15 mins (or overnight)
- 50g avocado, roughly chopped
- 50g spinach (frozen or fresh)
- ½ apple (red or green)
- 150ml chilled green tea
- 4 ice cubes (ideally made from green tea)
- 2-3 cm chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp protein powder (pea , soya-bean and whey work well) (or 25g silken tofu or steamed squash/ cauliflower/ pumpkin)
- ½ tbsp ground chia seeds or ground flaxseed
Optional: for an extra-anti-oxidant zesty burst, you can add either:
To garnish: fresh fruit, eg. Sliced strawberry.
Throw all the ingredients in a blender.
Pour into a glass. Decorate with fresh fruit and serve. Enjoy!
- Add 1 tsp lucuma powder as the sweetener instead of the apple.
- You can substitute the green tea for other teas like chamomile and mint.
- Substitute spinach for kale.
Don’t forget you can find my favourite recipes in my FREE eBook here.