Summer is here! Need to cool down? How about these refreshing, easy to make healthy lollies? They are nutritious, free from refined sugars and you only need 3 ingredients to make them; yes 3!
These lollies are easy and quick to make, you will wonder why you haven’t made them sooner! You can whip up a batch in under 5 mins and they make such a healthy refreshing change from the sugary commercial made varieties.
These lollies are dairy-free, gluten-free and free from refined sugars too. They are a hit with children and adults alike; all you need is some lolly moulds and freezer space to set them in. It is fun to make with the kids and then enjoy eating them later, perhaps sitting in the sunshine!
This recipe makes the most of summer berries and they give lovely bursts of colour and sweetness throughout the lolly. You can of course, just use up whatever fruit you have around. I want to try these with gooseberries, peach, apricots and blackcurrants too when these come in season.
I love to add chia seeds in mine, adding a dose of omega-3, protein and fibre too. Don’t you just love those chia-ry flecks?
Preparation time: under 5 mins. Setting time in freezer: 6 hrs+
Makes: 4 large lollies (depends on your mould size)
- 200g of berries of choice. I used mixed berries, washed
- 160-200ml coconut water or cooled green tea* or no added sugar lemonade (the volume will vary depending on the size of your moulds and how many berries you pop in the moulds). If using green tea, you may want to add a little sweetener like 1 tsp. stevia.
- 1.5 tbsp. chia seeds
- Mix the chia seeds with the coconut water/ cooled green tea/ no added sugar lemonade and set aside.
- Pop the berries in the empty lolly moulds. Slice if necessary.
- Top up each mould with the chia seed-fluid mixture.
- Pop in the freezer for 6hrs+ until set. I usually leave mine overnight.
- If you have plastic moulds, to help remove each lolly from the mould, use hot water around the sides of each mould then ease out. Enjoy!