Healthy snacks don’t come easier than these sugar-free banana muesli cookies! They are incredibly easy to make and you can prepare and bake a batch in under 25 minutes.
The basis of this recipe is simply ripe bananas mashed up with muesli. This is a great way to use up those spotty ripe bananas! To boost the nutritional profile further, I have added extra ingredients; goldenberries, chia seeds, cranberries pistachios and protein powder (pea, soya bean and whey varieties work a treat).
There is natural sweetness from the banana and dried fruit, crunch from nuts and a little warmth from spices. These make super healthy snacks and convenient portable breakfast cookies too.
These cookies are not only sugar-free but also plant-based and gluten-free. They also freeze-well. I love making a batch in the weekend for healthy snacking during the working week. These last for about 4 days in the refrigerator (that’s if you can resist eating them all in one go!).
Makes: 12 cookies
Preparation time: 10 mins
Baking time: 12-14 mins
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 85g muesli (I use Dorset Cereal gloriously roasted nut muesli)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric or Vitalising superpowder (a blend of turmeric, goldenberry and coconut powder)
- 2 tbsp protein powder (pea, soya bean or whey work well)
- 2 tbsp dried goldenberries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp raw pistachios
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 190°C electric or 170°C fan oven.
- Line and grease a large baking sheet with a little coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, using a fork, mash the bananas into a soft mush.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well together using a wooden spoon.
- Using a metal tablespoon, transfer spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 mins until golden. Allow to cool for 5 mins before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
- Substitute chia seeds for ground flaxseed.
- Substitute pistachios with desiccated coconut.
- Add cacao nibs, pumpkin or sunflower seeds or bee pollen (if non-vegan) for some crunchy goodness.
- Use different superpowders: Omega-3 superpowder (a fantastic blend of acai berry, inchi and coconut) or wheatgrass or spirulina.