I just can’t wait to share this recipe! This turmeric protein flatbread is super speedy to make and it is so healthy, versatile and tasty. It is great with dips and to accompany soups, stews and curries. It is enriched with ground flaxseed or chia seeds (adding a good dose of omega-3 fatty acids, protein and fibre), protein powder and the super-spice, turmeric. Fresh herbs and garlic add fragrance and fresh chillies add a little heat.
You can prepare this flatbread in about 6-8 mins and the bread is simply cooked in a frying pan (without need for any fat) for about 4 mins on each side. How simple is that! (Faster than you can pop to the shops to buy some, and also healthier and tastier too!). It is best eaten fresh while the outside is still crisp; this is lost upon storing and freezing (although it still does taste delicious).
We have been eating this most of the summer along with dips like hummus (beetroot hummus pictured) and guacamole and with salad.
This versatile flatbread can be made gluten-free (using gluten-free flour) and plant-based (using non-dairy yoghurt). You can easily make variations of this recipe, too, e.g. omit the chilli and herbs and substitute with cheese and oregano to make a pizza style flatbread or caramelised onion and ras-el-hanout for a Moroccan inspired flatbread.
Preparation time: 6-8 mins
Makes: 2 flatbreads (feeds 2)
Cooking time: 8-9 mins
- 50g self-raising flour (gluten-free if required) and a little extra to help shape the dough into flatbreads
- 15g protein powder (soya bean, pea or whey)
- 15g ground flaxseed or chia seeds
- 5 tbsp. yoghurt (dairy-free if required. Soya and coconut yoghurt work well)
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 5g herbs of choice: e.g. fresh parsley or coriander. (I have used coriander in the bread pictured), finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves or 1 plump one, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Vitalising Superpowder or turmeric
- ½ red chilli (seeds removed if you prefer it not too hot), finely chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a medium-sized bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon or your hands to form a dough.
- Using your hands and a little flour, divide the dough into 2 equal sized balls. Then using a rolling pin, roll out to form a disc of about 4mm thick. Alternatively, (especially if you do not have a rolling pin), you can pummel the dough into a disc shape and gently tug at the sides to form the disc of equal thickness.
- Heat a medium sized frying pan (no oil is required) with a low heat. Gently transfer 1 flatbread disc into the pan. Cook for 4 mins or until golden and then using a fish-slice toss the flatbread on to its other side and cook for a further 4 mins (or until golden). It is important to ensure the dough is golden and cooked through otherwise the bread will be uncooked and taste floury!
- Repeat with the second flatbread.
- Serve with a huge dollop of hummus (beetroot hummus pictured) and guacamole and decorate with some shoots and avocado slices if desired.